Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stitching on Felt


I made this hanging canary pillow with this free embroidery pattern I posted yesterday! Here is it again if you missed it:


 You can make one too with this nifty trick I'm going to show you. If you've ever tried to transfer an embroidery pattern onto felt, you've probably been frustrated like I have. Transfer pens don't always show up and chalk or carbon paper lines tend to brush off as you work. Well, here's another technique that I quite like. All you need is some tissue or tracing paper. Try to find some that is somewhat sturdy and won't tear too easily.


(Click to enlarge)

Step 1: Trace your pattern onto the tissue paper
Step 2: Pin it onto your felt. For my birdcage, I cut out the bird shape and stitched him on first, then embroidered the cage and details over it. Start stitching right through the paper and felt at the same time. Don't pull your stitches too tightly or they can tear the paper.
Step 3: When you're done embroidering, gently tear away the paper. This is the fun part! you'll see your embroidery revealed before your eyes. ;) You might need to use a needle or tweezers to pull loose bits out from under your stitches.
Step 4: Do whatever you want with your embroidery! I made a little pillow with mine. Easy as pie.

I hope this tip helps you out. It's made my embroidered felt projects a lot easier. :) This technique would also be perfect for other thick fabrics like velvet or terry cloth. Try it out!


21 comments:

  1. Brilliant...thanks so much. And thanks for the free pattern. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable and a great technique! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! Have you tried using different matterial for the pattern (other than tissue paper)? Or is tissue paper best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial Amy ^_^ I've never used this technique before, looks like fun! have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one on the technique. I get so frustrated sometimes with felt. I'm definitely gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for the great tutorial ! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhh so very cute. That is a great idea. I often have a lot of trouble trying to draw the embroidery pattern onto felt, so I'll be trying this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very very cut... i'm starting with stitching... and this tutorial is really wonderful!
    I've linked your blog and tutorial in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i do this with tear away stabilizer, especially when i'm working on a darker fabric that will be a pain to transfer the design to. it also helps keep the fabric from puckering if your stitches are really tight like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the post, this was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks! Just what I was needing to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! This is just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic! I'm making a felt quiet book for my eight month old and I needed a way to transfer patterns for consistency. I can draw something but that doesn't mean it will look the same three more times. Thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, brilliant indeed! I had been wondering how to do that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe how simple! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. bonjour,

    magnifique ce tutoriel et merci pour le partage.

    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing! This will help me a lot. Always struggled with getting my embroidery patterns on to felt. :)

    Best regards

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this lovely idea with us.it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea! The design is simply lovely. FYI: A few years ago when I did this technique on some felt Easter rabbits that I was embroidering with a blackwork design, I ended up wetting the tissue paper to tear it out-- although I was doing it by hand too, no tweezers-- and I didn't have to worry about the colors bleeding with the color scheme I had chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks! :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)