Thursday, June 17, 2010

crayon tinting

Hey there crafty people, here is the next installment in my embroidery tutorial series, color tinting! This is a really easy and fun way to add extra color to your embroidery. Did you see the free embroidery pattern I posted here yesterday? That's what I'll be using for this project, if you missed it, you can find it right here. Besides your fabric, pattern and embroidery supplies, you will need some crayons, white paper, and an iron.


(click to enlarge)

Step 1. Transfer your pattern to fabric. I used a plain pencil and light table for mine this time. Now get out your crayons! Place your fabric onto a hard surface and LIGHTLY begin filling in spaces with color. Get creative! your project will look great if you add a little blending. Start with the lightest color and blend in darker shades around the edges. For instance, on my leaves I filled them in with a light yellow green, then added a medium/darker green at the edges, then a tiny bit of aqua blue at the tips. It is important to not press too hard, but just use very light strokes. You can go back and make your colors darker if you want to, after step 2.

Step 2. When you're done coloring, place your fabric on a towel or ironing board and the paper on top of it. Iron over the paper on the hottest setting. This will set the color into the fabric, and also remove any access wax. Iron for a few minutes, until no more wax is being released onto the paper.

3. Embroider your lines any way you like! I like to use floss a shade or two darker than the colored areas it is outlining. When you're done you'll have a unique embroidery piece you can frame, use in a quilt, or use however you like.

If you stitch up the free pattern, please add your photos to the Doodle Stitching flickr group!

I hope you enjoy this fun little project! If you did, be sure and watch for my next book, Doodle Stitching- The Motif Collection, comes out in October! It's already up for preorder on Amazon. It has lots and lots of patterns, and some really fun projects too.

♥ aimee

36 comments:

  1. Aimee, I love this idea, will try it soon! One question: If I use regular crayons, will the design be wash-safe? Or is it better for wall quilts and framed pictures where it won't probably be laundered? Thanks, Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fantastic!!! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments! I hope you will try it! :)

    Lily: I have to admit, I've never washed anything I've done this on, though my research shows it can take it. :) I probably wouldn't do it to something that needs to be washed often though, and if you do need to, hand washing would be best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe try those fabric crayons that can be washed? I really want to try this. Looks awesome, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is soooo cool! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Found you through Feeling Stitchy's blog. I love your crayon technique, reminds me of watercolor! Are they real crayons, or a special fabric crayon? It's hard to tell in the photo. Thank you for sharing how-to! Fantastic work, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanx for the tutorial, luv the effect.
    luv the pattern to he looks so cheeky.
    best paper to use to soak up the wax is the white printer / photo copier paper
    hugs
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you all! I'm glad you like it! :D

    kt_kthx: they are just regular crayola crayons with white printer paper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Aimee,
    Love your gnome!! I felt inspired to grab some crayon and use it on some in my work a little later, thanks heaps. xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! What a fabulous idea! Now, to figure out how best to incorporate it...hhmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your design is so cute!. Thank you for the pattern and the crayon tinting information. I'm doing more embroidery and love to find cool stuff. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you use single strokes in one direction or cross hatching??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this! I've been wanting to learn this but didn't realize how easy it was!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a technique using color pencil you might like:
    http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2010/08/dqs9-sneak-peek.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything you create and thank you for sharing this pattern. I cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THANKS,YOUR WORK IS LOVELY.
    YOUR HANDS ARE MAGICS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel so lucky to own this work of art you created! I hope it graces a nursery in the future!
    ~Nikki K

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a wonderful idea! I always thought my designs looked a bit plain when framed... no more! Thank you for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did a cartoon t-shirt for g-son about 15 years ago using crayons. Not only washed and dried it, but bleached it a couple of times. The design outlasted the shirt. Wouldn't handle a fine item that way, but I wouldn't be afraid to wash it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great! I've been dying to try color tinting embroidery - I had no idea it was as simple as using crayons! I'm assuming that you can't wash color-tinted items afterward.

    Thanks for this great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Aimee!

    Thanks. I have already completed a project of outline stitching. What would happen if I color after the stitching is done?

    ReplyDelete
  22. many thank yous!! glad to share. :)
    I'm pretty sure the colors will be permanent, washing shouldn't affect it.
    It won't work well to add color after stitching, the stitches will get in the way of coloring and ironing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm going to try this for the wild olive embroidery swap.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I acquired squares of birds colored on tea towel material and embroideried with this crayon colored techinique. The squares are over 30 years old. Either my aunt or grandmother made them. I am making a quilt out of them - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, what a great treasure! you're lucky to have them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Used your tutorial and referenced in on my blog. Thanks for sharing it. It was a lot of fun to try crayon tinting. :)
    http://pam-thebestlaidplans.blogspot.com/2012/05/may-stitch-along-dancing-veggies-flour.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi
    LOVE the idea of using crayons, but will it wash out. I am thinking of trying it on dish towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you iron it on, crayon wax is permanent. good luck and have fun! :)

      Delete
  28. I just found you, OMG!!! HOW CUTE and wonderful everythin is!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hii, wow this is beautiful and you work is AMAZING, I did my name with this technique for my room but one quick question... how do I embroider like that or do u know any websites that can help?? Thx, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I have some embroidery tutorials here on the left side of my blog near the top, they will help get you started! Also look for my Doodle Stitching books, they are full of patterns and great for beginners.

      Delete
  30. What type of stitching did you use in the gnome, mushroom embroidery? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the Split Stitch and the Back Stitch. You can see a close up here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/merwing/4705621171/

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)