Sunday, July 29, 2012

Five Flossy Flowers


It's time for another embroidery tutorial! I stitched up this pretty deer with flowering antlers recently (if you missed it, you can get the PDF pattern in my shop!) so I thought I'd show you some fun, easy ways to embroider lots of different flowers. 

Flower #1: Straight Stitch
The Straight Stitch is the most basic of embroidery stitches, just bring your needle up in one spot, and pull it back down through in another. Make several Straight Stitches in a circle to create a flower.



Flower # 2: Satin Stitch
The Satin Stitch is just a bunch of Straight Stitches close together.  Satin Stitched circles also make great flower centers for any type of flower. I also used the Satin Stitch to make the little leaves on this pattern.


Flower # 3: Lazy Daisy
The Lazy Daisy is the most flower-like embroidery stitch. Make a loose stitch-loop and then catch the end of the loop with a tiny stitch over it, securing it to the fabric. You can arrange Lazy Daisies in a variety of ways to create different flowers.


Flower #4: Scallop Stitch
The Scallop Stitch is much like the Lazy Daisy, only you separate the ends more to create little arches rather than loops. Secure the center of the arch with a tiny stitch.


Flower #5 Bullion Knots
In order to create Bullion Knots, you'll want to master basic French Knots first, so I'm giving you an extra bonus stitch here! French Knots are created by first wrapping your floss around the tip of the needle. Then reinsert the end of the needle into the fabric, pull the floss tightly and close to the fabric, and pull the needle back through the fabric. French Knots in a cluster by themselves make interesting flowers, and also are great as centers of any type of flower.


Bullion Knots can be a little tricky, but are lots of fun when you get the hang of them. Start by bringing up your needle and making a sort of back stitch on top of the fabric from 1/4 inch away, back to where you started, as you see in the illustration. This will be the length of your Bullion Knot. Next, wrap your floss around the end of the needle sticking out, 4 or 5 times. The wraps don't need to be super tight, but hold the coil securely to the fabric as you pull the needle and floss back through all of them. Pull the needle back through the fabric to secure the stitch. 
You can make Bullion Knots in rows like petals, or create several wrapping around each other in a circle to make Bullion roses. Add a French Knot or a bit of Satin Stitch in the center and you've made a lovely, unique flower.


And there you have it! I hope you'll find this tutorial fun and useful. Once you master these basic stitches, you can combine them to create all kinds of different flowers! Soon you'll be stitching up bouquets all over the place.
If you want a fun pattern to practice your Flossy Flowers on, check out my Flowering Antlers PDF at www.littledear.etsy.com

Enjoy!
<3 aimee



9 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! (yes I am yelling, I can hardly contain myself)

    THIS. IS. SO INCREDIBLE!
    AND INSPIRING
    AND BEAUTIFUL

    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! ^_^ I'm so glad you find it useful.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I always think I understand French knots but have yet to be able to actually do one! Something to strive for. I love your blog, it's fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! It took me some practice to master French Knots, but it's worth the effort. good luck! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this embroidery, and would love to make one, but I can't seem to find the PDF. The link you supply does not bring you to this specific pattern. I searched through all the embrodiery patterns, and can't find it. Is this pattern still available? Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, I've just re-listed it in my etsy shop. :)
      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Hi. I just purchased your book "Doodle Stitching The Motif Collection". On page 132 it says go to www.larkcrafts.com to find the stitch guide to the doodle page pictured there, but I can't find it. Is it still available? Thanks. CindyM. cism1955 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for picking up my book! You can find those right here: http://www.larkcrafts.com/bonus/?c=11
      Have fun!

      Delete
    2. Hallelujah! I was looking all over the website for that stitch guide! So excited!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)