Friday, April 2, 2010

Tying the Knot

I've been asked the best way to tie a knot in the end of your embroidery floss, so I've made a little tutorial! I learned how to do it this way when I was a kid (my mom taught me) and it takes me half a second (well maybe a whole second :)


1. Wrap the end of your floss around the tip of your finger, just enough to overlap it.
2. Roll your thumb and the floss up over the top of your finger.
3. Grab the roll and pull it downward towards the end of the floss.
4. There's your knot!

Since I've always done it this way, I don't really know if it's easy to get the hang of or not. So, try it out and let me know! Or, do you have another way? Here's another snappy technique I found. What do you think? :)

5 comments:

  1. thanks for all your tutorials! i am going to start embroidering this weekend! and your book is on its way to me :) your work is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, this is how my mom taught me when I was little. I think it does take some time to get the right number of rolls. And since finding Heather's tutorial some time ago, I'm more likely to do it that way, since it's similar to the way that I tie off at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how my mother taught me. I showed my two boys and they both had a hard time with it. I can't imagine tying a knot any other way, I've been doing it way too long. [maybe 24 years]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those your fingers, or did you pay for a hand model? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this technique! It's so simple and works great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)