Friday, June 18, 2010

Better than Swiffer Dusters



(click to enlarge)

I originally posted this tutorial on flickr 2 and a half years ago, and it's still my most viewed photo ever, so I thought it was worth blogging here. I love swiffer dusters, so I made this up when I got sick of buying new refills all the time. These are washable and reusable til the cows come home, (I'm still using the original ones I made) and really easy to make, so be a little more green today and make a some for yourself. I've made them with fleece, but Microfiber seems to work best, it really grabs the dust. You can usually finds sheets of it in the car cleaning section. You can also easily make swiffer mop covers too, by just measuring a rectangle about twice as long as the mop, folding over the ends to fit it and sewing them in place.



Feel free to share this pattern! (If you link back to me here while you're at it, that would be great!) Why buy something over and over when you can easily make something reusable? Every little thing we can do to reduce waste is worth it. :)

♥ aimee

15 comments:

  1. Great Idea. I too get tired of buying the refills. I was just looking at my cleaning supplies yesterday & I have 2 of the swiffer duster handles. I need to make one of these.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thanks for posting. I am bookmarking this so I can post it on my blog next time I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great tutorial. I really enjoyed making these and they work great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on pinterest and LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I missed it, but what do you use for the handles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made some put of flannel and they worked great! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will probably try making this but fyi, I put my swifter sheets and dusters in the wash and reuse them over and over again with no problem and rarely throw them out....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think felt would work? I may try it just to see! I have a huge bolt of felt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a pattern for the mop too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a pattern, but just measure a rectangle about twice as long as the mop, folding over the ends to fit it and sewing them in place.

      Delete
  10. Love these ideas. Am going to try several I have found with different materials, to see which I like best. Thanks for the great ideas. Love washable cleaning items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to sew it is not clear on either site. I looked on the other site and can not understand how to sew it. Sorry I guess I'm just dumb.

      Delete
  11. I made these with micro fiber towels but the fluff and shedding was too much. Has anyone tried another material that worked well? I've heard, fleece, flannel, t-shirt or sweatshirt material. Any suggestions would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brown ones I made above are fleece, it works pretty well. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)