Tuesday, September 7, 2010

my favorite salad



So, how about something a little different? I don't post food very much (if ever) I am a total health nut and some people find that dreadfully boring. Hopefully this one isn't too boring though. :) We do love a good salad at our house and this is one of my faves. It's called Japanese salad, and although I don't know how Japanese it actually is, it is more fun to eat with chopsticks. ;)
My mom used to make this when I was growing up with chicken but being a vegetarian now, the chicken is right out. I've worked up my own version and I think it's just right. Also, I don't always measure things, so if there's no amount, just add to taste or whatever you think looks good. Instinct is an important part of cooking! :D

"Japanese" Salad

Chop:
1 small head of cabbage.
1 small bunch of green onions
Add:
Sesame Seeds
Slivered Almonds
1 package crushed ramen noodles

Dressing:
(heat in a small saucepan and cool)

2 T sugar
1/2 cup oil (sesame or olive work well)
3 T apple cider vinegar
3 T soy sauce

Add to taste:
onion powder
garlic powder
ginger celery seed
pepper
1 bay leaf

Mix salad ingredients and then mix in dressing once it is cool. I usually make this the day before and then store it in the refrigerator so the noodles can soften a bit. yummy! we eat a whole batch of this in a day. (two of us.) heheh.

Anything is more fun to eat in a cute bowl with fun utensils! I picked up my pink kitty bowl and koi chopsticks on a recent trip to New York City at an amazing store called Pearl River in Soho. I highly recommend stopping there if you get to NYC. Or, if you can't, check out their website. :)

♥ aimee


3 comments:

  1. That looks really, really tasty! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks, and sounds, so flavorful and delicious! Trying this out is a must. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today and it is yummy yummy yummy! I served it to my friends with lunch, and they loved it too. Thank you so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)