Monday, June 2, 2014

a flag a day



I've created a new project for myself this week, (like I need something else to do, haha) I'll be making a flag everyday and at the end of the week I'll have a fun, colorful banner for my craft room.
Care to join me? Please do!!
Wait, Before you say no, I don't have time, please read on...

I've been in love with banners and prayer flags of all kinds for a long time, they're such a fun way to dress up any room. They are fun to make, and there are so many different ways to make them. I decided to make my own prayer-type flags as a sort of contemplation, but I don't want them to be stressful at all, or take up too much time. So, I made some simple guidelines to follow to make it easier:

1. Use only leftover scraps. I have a big bag of fabric scraps, and a big bag of ribbon/string scraps, so I'm using only those to make my flags.
2. Keep them roughly square shaped.
3. Work on only one at a time, or one a day.
4. Don't worry about rough, unfinished edges.
5. Finish each flag in an hour or less.
6. Don't worry about making a wonderful finished product, just enjoy the process!!!

My goal is to take something old and make it into something new. I'll probably have to keep reminding myself of these guidelines. It might help you to stick with these rules as well, or create some of your own. Just keep your process simple! I'll be doing hand sewing for my flags, but you might consider using paper if you're into paper crafts, paint, crochet, bits of nature or whatever else you have at your fingertips. Feel free to add words, freehand doodles, or anything else inspirational you can find. Don't stress, just have fun!

As you can see from my first flag, I used a leftover patchwork square I had from the quilt I just finished, stitched on some ribbon and a little embroidery, and painted some designs in white acrylic paint. For the top edge, I just folded it over and stitched it back, then strung it onto some packing twine I had in my ribbon bag. I think it took just over 30 minutes. Easy as pie.

Need some inspiration? Search 'handmade prayer flags' on flickr or pinterest!

Your kids are fresh out of school, right? This is a great kid project! Let them make a banner for their own room.

Please climb on board with me this week! It's going to be a great way to get some creative juices flowing. I find making something completely for fun is a great way to break through creative blocks. Let me know if you'll join me, I'd love to see your flags too!!

xo aimee

3 comments:

  1. Aimee, I absolutely love this idea! You are so inspiring, and this project is so much fun. I had wanted to make a little banner for tea parties with my nieces, so I had to give your project a try. I wanted to follow your guidelines, but I had trouble with #4. Oh, and #5. And I also iron EVERYTHING when I sew... I told myself I could iron, but I would have to use the sewing machine to make up the time. This works for me. lol Tomorrow I will try again. That's my favorite part about your project. :) Here's a little link to my flag from today. https://www.flickr.com/photos/25106879@N08/14332865752/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Liza! I'm so glad you're joining me! No problem about the guidelines, do what works for you! Hope you have fun! :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)